Author Topic: What to do, what to do...  (Read 1875 times)

Offline mark42202

• Master
  • Just got my first Turbo
  • The Sound of Madness!!!!
What to do, what to do...
« on: August 20, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
So I have been shopping for a car for my son. His dream car is a 71 Demon, and we wanted to start with a project and build it together. He isn't really that concerned with having the correct tail lights, so I have been looking for both Demons or a Duster I could clone into one. A friend of mine who is a chebby guy tells me on Saturday that he has an old slant 6 Duster with no motor or trans, but the body is solid and it has the full interior, though it needs to be recovered. I'm thinking "great! Sounds like a good foundation!". I went and looked at the car yesterday, and although it has some primer on it, you can see some of the original paint (petty blue). I also noticed that on the driver's 1/4, it looked like there had been a 340 decal at one time. It is a solid car on the exterior and frame rails, but the front floor pans are rusted out as is the spare tire well. I bought the car for $600. When I got it home, I checked it out a little better and the interior sheetmetal panels are indeed also petty blue, and I ran the VIN and it is a true H code 340 car! So now my dillema... I've never been much of a Duster guy, but this is an extremely good candidate for restoration. I'm thinking I may just have to keep shopping for my son's dream car project while I put this one back to it's original glory. It won't be numbers matching, but I think the value will still be there if I put a date correct 340 and tranny in it! What say you al?

Offline 4406

• OFFICIAL ROAD TESTER
Re: What to do, what to do...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:28:57 AM »
What year is it? 70-71 Duster dash cluster is different for 340 cars. 72 was the same as 318/6 cyl. If it is decent put a 340 in it and call it good.
Misc Odd Parts Assembled Recklessly

Offline mark42202

• Master
  • The Sound of Madness!!!!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »
Oh, damn I forgot to put it in there. It's a 72.

Offline watt340

• Just got my .509 Cam
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 03:10:26 PM »
A Petty Blue '72 Duster 340 is a great project to start with. You may have to convince your son that this project is just as worthy as a Demon.  :)   Otherwise sell the Duster to help finance a Demon project.