Author Topic: I could use some tips in chassis tuning  (Read 9155 times)

Offline bOb shingler

• Just got my first Turbo
  • 71' 340 demon
Re: I could use some tips in chassis tuning
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 09:56:01 AM »
how to the toe check go, like monty mentioned?
"bOb built" no matter how many times it takes.

Offline Moparal

• Just sold my 440 Source Heads
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 10:21:14 PM »
You know Bob, to be honest, It totally slipped my mind.  It is still set up, so no problem to put it up on the limiters and check it tho.  I really don't think I was having a bumpsteer problem, but I shouldn't rule it out, as you just reminded me.  I was a front end mechanic for a dozen years or so, so it isn't hard for me to do.  Easy enough to check tho with heim rod ends for tie rods and a rack.  I know it has zero tire wear or scuffing of any type.

This problem I was having was not letting the car drift one side to the other, like a steering issue, it was tracking straight. I could just feel a little body movement and thought it warrented a safety check.  I took the rack and tie rods out and inspected them while I changed out to 2 different engines. I have been expecting the car to respond a little different each time. I have knocked off 3/4 of a sec on the eigth mile the last dozen times out with all the changes and add ons.  I will soon run this car all out. I learn as I go.

Thanks for pointing that out again. I sometimes let my friends drive my car, but I set the rev limiters and air shift points slower at first with them driving it for the first time.

Offline Monte Smith

• Chinese Crank.....Broke
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 12:25:01 AM »
How the car scales, a loose jam nut and a slightly backed off shock platform, is not going to make the car "wander" as you described in your original post. If those are the only issues you found, you should keep looking...........I am still guessing it does not have correct toe.

Monte

Offline Moparal

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2013, 01:42:16 AM »
guess I just can't explain it right huh?  The car is not wandering.  It goes straight.  I am going to check the toe. I listed the few things I found while checking my car out.  If you were in my shop , I could actually show you what I am trying to say what I feel while driving. EVEN without the car rolling. And it isn't major so to say, it's something I was looking for the answer on.  The car was set up at a chassis shop for a driver that is about 100 lbs lighter than me, I was thinking it may have something to do with that. 

I do appreciate all the info I am getting from everyone. If I can't seem to find what I am searching for, I will take it down to a speed shop eventually and have it checked out. My biggest problem I am having is trying to say/type what I am feeling. It only lasts a second or so and around 200 ft or so out. Nothing violent. As far as I know this may even be in some way a normal thing I am feeling with this wheel base or the drag coefficient being different from my other cars I have owned.  I can say this is the first car I have run, where the rear end is a smaller width total than the frontend width. That question has been popping up on my mind quite a bit to. Or maybe just not enough air in the rear slicks and I am feeling the side walls flexing while I'm driving.  Some friends have drove my car and they say it seemed normal to them. They have smaller cars.  I guess i'm just yappin now, but if any of this made any sense, please feel free to respond back. Thanks for the help....ALAN

Offline Monte Smith

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
If it is a small car, ie, has a very narrow track width...........you might get body roll if the shocks are fairly close together. Does the car have an anti-roll

Monte

Offline Moparal

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:30 AM »
No it does'nt have an anti roll, and the shocks in the rear are very close together. That may be just what I am feeling. I never drove a car with the shocks that close together before. My cuda has an anti roll and a wider track, so I hadn't felt it before.  That was some good info you just gave me.   So as the car got faster, would it of maybe of showed up since I was putting more power down?  I believe I need to check into installing an anti roll anyways. As much as I have seen posted on them over the years, I never thought about it on this car. 

When I posted to you about , if I was in my shop and the car was just setting there I could show you what I mean, did that make sense?   That is what made me start looking under the car and asking questions.  The anti roll would actually tie the body to the rearend better, making it more stabil. right?  I know it keeps both tires planted better also.

Offline Monte Smith

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »
A narrow car with the shocks too close together is going to roll rotate around the shock mounts as the power increases, because of the leverage..........Plus, if the chassis is not super stiff, will compound the problem. Put an anti-roll on it and make it as wide as you can

Monte

Offline Moparal

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2013, 07:37:11 PM »
A little update.   I had the anti roll control installed over the holiday, mounted the stroud chute also. If weather is good sat night, I will make some T&T passes and see how it works out. I also found out that I need to add a bigger bar across the front of the cage and it will cert to 8.50's. I plan on having this done next weekend and also installing a lexan front winshield again.  I'm also looking for a pair of good 68 dart glas doors if anyone has a lead on a good used set.  Thanks for the pointers and help...ALAN

Offline Moparal

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 05:16:01 PM »
Well Monte, IT WAS THE TOE.....I learn as I go   thanks for all the help everyone