Author Topic: Indy Max block pros and cons?  (Read 30770 times)

Offline Moparal

• Just sold my 440 Source Heads
Indy Max block pros and cons?
« on: August 03, 2013, 10:41:34 PM »
I'm planning on ordering one for my dart. My factory block is on borrowed time as it is. Heavy to.

I want to buy one done and ready to pickup.  I had considered dropping off my shortblock and letting them do the assembly also.  I am all over the country now and back to work.  So my time is limited.  I am not looking for any special discounts for being a member here, which I dont believe would happen anyways.  But I have heard in the past some talk, but it was people saying they had a friend who's friend had one and it was junk. Then I always hear KB or nothing.  I have used Indy stuff on many engines, just not this particular block. 

This will be my first all aluminum engine .  B1 originals done by Koffell on a 4.375x4.25 stroke, If I used the same new pistons with 8 passes on them.  I didn't see any B1 pistons offered on their site, or I'd spring for a 4.5x 4.25. 

Is their any known issues on the Indymax blocks that needs to be addressed?   I spin 8400 for a shift point.  I have bought a few mega blocks done by them in the past, and they are still alive.  But heavy to. 

Has anyone bought a block from them and how did they hold up?  I plan on an RB block with RB deck height

Offline Competition Wedge Engines

• Chinese Crank.....Broke
Re: Indy Max block pros and cons?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 11:11:10 AM »
They are fine for what you appear to be doing. There are some little nuances on them, that you would want an experienced builder to be involved with, but I can say, I have been happy with the Indy Maxx blocks, and would not tell you NOT to use them. The B1s dont create any issues, and you'll be glad of the wieght saving for sure. I cant speak for their work, as I usually order the blocks pretty bare and do mine own finish work. Have them get the sleeves you want ( correct sizing) and go from there. They are usually fairly reasonable on lead times as well, which is an issue for KB for sure.

Offline 440outlawdart

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
I was talking to blake at ray barton this morning on this subject as I was consisdering a alum block verus a mp block,and what he thought,he said he would stick with a steel block
mopar to the end

Offline Moparal

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 04:58:22 PM »
Thanks, but I would like to use an aluminum block.   This would get my car weight to around 2480-2500lbs  Then add some glass doors.   I am going to call Indy and see what they have to say.  I've did a lot of changes to the car since we emailed last.  added anti roll control, and chute, just bought some steeper gears that arrived at my shop today, and installed a 2 row aluminum radiator. 

Offline hustlin hoosier

• Just got my first Turbo
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 09:50:18 PM »
I know where there is a brand new KB block ready to ship, .200 raised deck , raised cam tunnel , 60 mm , no lifter bores. Not cheap but available. 219 275 2293, is a hemi block.

But we do run 2 Indy block in 1200 hp plus area and are very happy with both
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:52:04 PM by hustlin hoosier »

Offline Moparal

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 01:36:31 AM »
I'm running a B1 top end in my car.  Thanks for the info on the KB

Offline 440outlawdart

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 10:53:57 AM »
indy would be the ones to talk to,since they build these engines for some customers,let me know or post what they have to say
mopar to the end

Offline Moparal

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

I was going to call yesterday, but realized I am working in Ca. and they were closed.  Since I have an extra set of B1 originals and another intake, I was considering buying this kit they offer and have them install it in their Indy max R block with rb mains . I am shooting for The end of September to have it done. My heads are 65 and 63 cc's. They both flow at and over 400 cfm, so I am thinking this will make some good power.

400-R6-540A 540" 400 Maxx block Callies 4340 steel crank (4.250 / 2.2 Chevy width) Eagle H-Beam rods (6.535 / .990) Wiseco flat top pistons (4.500 bore) rings, rod and main bearings. 13 to 1 with 75cc, 14.3 to 1 with 65cc

Offline a493demon

• Global Moderator
  • Just got my first Turbo
  • The Farm Truck of KOS/X10.5
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
send me the extra head's .lol

Offline Moparal

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »
send me the extra head's .lol

;D   You know as well as I do, that you need a bunch of other things to run the heads. 

Offline Get-X

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 01:47:45 PM »
The Indy Maxx block is fine and will do what you want it to do. I would however have a competent engine builder do the machine work, not Indy.

Offline Moparal

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 03:42:45 PM »
The Indy Maxx block is fine and will do what you want it to do. I would however have a competent engine builder do the machine work, not Indy.

Can you go a bit deeper in your comment?   It seems they should be able to build what they make. Or am I missing something here?  I have built my own engines since the 70's and learned as I built each one.  I can balance my own engines now. Is there certain problem areas on the block itself ?  Do I need to know about the upgrade and type of bolts and studs provided?

I just talked with Josh at work and he did give me a good price on The B Indy Maxx short block, with all the bells and whistles.

540 B Maxx block Callies, grp, 4.5 bore x 4.25 stroke.  Under 11k.  1 month for turn around.  If I went that route. Or save a grand or so if I buy it and build it myself.    But don't have much time at home.   

I am still open minded on this post and would like to hear more input from others.

Offline Get-X

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 09:34:54 PM »

Can you go a bit deeper in your comment?   It seems they should be able to build what they make. Or am I missing something here?  I have built my own engines since the 70's and learned as I built each one.  I can balance my own engines now. Is there certain problem areas on the block itself ?  Do I need to know about the upgrade and type of bolts and studs provided?

I just talked with Josh at work and he did give me a good price on The B Indy Maxx short block, with all the bells and whistles.

540 B Maxx block Callies, grp, 4.5 bore x 4.25 stroke.  Under 11k.  1 month for turn around.  If I went that route. Or save a grand or so if I buy it and build it myself.    But don't have much time at home.   

I am still open minded on this post and would like to hear more input from others.

Read this thread for some clarity:

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125752

Offline Airwoofer

• Just got my .509 Cam
Re: Indy Max block pros and cons? There are lots of cons with Indy
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 05:14:13 PM »
I am a recent customer of theirs.  I already had a set of their 440-1 CNC heads that I bought off RJ.  Took $1000 to get them right by a head shop.  I ordered a World block  from that guy josh at Indy.  It was to be decked to 10.720 to match the custom pistons I was getting.  The deck was way off, uneven and the finish was probably as delivered from World.  The rotating assy was supposed to be balanced but it was way off, probably not balanced at all judging from how the only holes that were drilled were from the crank manufacturer.  Had to have a lot of metal removed to get in balance.  I had paid for these services and had to pay my builder again to get them fixed.  That clown Josh basically called me and the builder liars.

BTW, I also got a 4.500 bore x 4.250 stroke.  Welcome to the 540 club.

If you want to buy an Indy product get it from Bob Mazzolini, also in CA, and let him not only do the finish maching but also make sure your stuff is right.  If you buy a Indy machined product you will get ripped off.  I would not trust them to build the short block either.  There are a lot of previous Indy customers that would NEVER do business again with them and really regrret getting sucked in.  Whatever you have to pay a machinist like Bob is worth it in avoiding the aggrivation of dealing with them.  There are guys that are looking forward to seeing the owner Russ at a show so they can smack him from across the table.

I also wish I had gotten Brodix heads cause the Indy CNC heads have the bowls destroyed and the flows are not that great.

Do you homework.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 05:17:10 PM by Airwoofer »

Offline Airwoofer

• Just got my .509 Cam
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 09:45:17 AM »
I was talking to blake at ray barton this morning on this subject as I was consisdering a alum block verus a mp block,and what he thought,he said he would stick with a steel block

I was also going to use a aluminum block but after talking to some of the better Mopar builders I went with the World block.  I just heard too many issues with the cylinders not staying round, having to deal with the warm up to keep main bearing clearances right.  Bob Mazzolini was the last straw and he mentioned that Ray Barton also agreed that the iron block is the better way to go, but he will build an aluminum block because customers want them.  It would have been nice to lose about 140 pounds on the front end, but I am more interested in durability and reliability.

As for the 540, I decided on the 4.500 bore so I could unshroud the valves and the 4.250 stroke kept the piston speed a little lower so it could spin a little higher.  I used 7.100 rods to help with the side load on the pistons/walls.  I am using a RB though so there was room for the longer rods.  Wanted 13-1 CR with my 78.5 cc heads but that clown josh had Diamond make the pistons so the CR ended up at 14-1.  So much for running more affordable 110 octane fuel.  You may want to look into Mahle pistons and see if they will make customs for your build. 

What headers are you planning to use?  I need fenderwells for my 71 Demon and it already has the inner fenders gone.  Considering Hustlers but the 2" primary tubes may be a tad too small.

Seriously, give ole Bob a call and discuss your build with him.