Author Topic: Indy Max block pros and cons?  (Read 30768 times)

Offline NREMTP

• Just got my .509 Cam
Re: Indy Max block pros and cons?
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 08:58:26 PM »
I will say this. No disrespect just the truth. My builder orders a low deck indy block. The bores weren't right and cost me 200 dollars of machine work to fix them.

Offline Airwoofer

• Just got my .509 Cam
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 11:31:18 AM »
To be honest, I was looking for an iron block and there appeared to be none available.  On a whim I called Indy to see if they would sell me a block and the only one they had was a 4.350 bore and I wanted 4.500.  They would sell it and charge me for the bore.  I also ordered a rotating assy, balanced.

When the stuff was done Josh charged me for a short block kit and that is where the problems started because they include balance and deck in the kit price, they had balance and "deck 10/720" on the sales order, BUT DID NOT DO THE WORK.  Josh was supposed to check on the shop traveller and did not.  He said he would refund the cost to deck the block if I sent him the builder's invoice, which I did by snail mail.  His response to the balance not being done was some BS about "we balance within 3 grams" which means nothing.  It was not done and my crank has a bunch of newly drilled big holes by the builder to prove it.

In all fairness, the bores came out OK.  The block showed up from Indy filthy like it had just been removed from the bore machine, costing another $80 to clean.  I probably would have cleaned it anyways.

If Josh had refunded the moolah I had to (re) pay for balance and deck I would not be all over the internet talking trash about Indy's work.  This story would be all over Bigblockdart also except my work computer system is timing out with that site now.  FABO knows all about this as that is my main Mopar site.

Talking to others in the Mopar engine business the story is the same.  People hate the experience of dealing with Indy, the cringe to have to talk with them, and only do business with them if they have no other option.  Now ad dto that they sell you something and do not deliver.  I think it is wire fraud and kinda think we should get the feds involved.  Holder is in shakedown mode right now and settling for fines instead of actual charges. 

Offline bOb shingler

• Just got my first Turbo
  • 71' 340 demon
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
indy always was shit to deal with directly and just a pain in the ass to talk to russ and his employees. now I just can't believe josh got sucked right into their bullshit. :'(
"bOb built" no matter how many times it takes.

Offline Moparal

• Just sold my 440 Source Heads
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 01:23:41 AM »
Airwolf, I might could use those flanges for my B1's. I have 2 sets of B1's now and plan on building another set of headers. Will your flanges go to 2 3/8ths? I just got back into town and on my way to Calera (sp)  I got a few things to do on my car tomorrow, but may go to Goodtimes dragway and tune a bit more on my combo.  I need to loosen up the frontend limiters a couple of inches and raise my wheelie bars more. If not just remove them. I am hazing the tires for close to 100 ft or better.  I also had been running my timing at 26 and locked down shifting at 6400 to break in the engine. My tune now is 38 degree and 8200 shift point.

I see you ragging on Indy. But for the most part, you can and do make power with their parts. I have used Indy stuff for a few decades now. For all the horror stories, there are just as many if not more good stories also.
I will most likely do my own machine work if I buy an Indy Maxx, I decided to go RB instead of B. I am looking for a set of fiberglass doors for my 68 dart if you hear of anyone havin any.

No 2 balances are the same by the way. You can balance it yourself, then have someone else check the balance and it will show a different reading on a differnt machine. Been there done that. I like to do it myself. No one to blame but me.

Offline Airwoofer

• Just got my .509 Cam
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
These are for 2 1/4 tubing.  If you can use them I will take $150 .  They cost me $175 plus the ride.

As for the balance, the crank had two big holes that were from the crank manufacturer.  Dennis had to put a bunch more holes in.  The crank was NOT balanced.  There was no balance sheet included.  The 440 Source rotating assy I had had a very nice balance sheet with it.

If you ever decide to bring your car up to HSV let me know as I would love to see it and meet you.  Yeah, fiberglass doors would be nice.  The doors on my Demon weigh a LOT even with plastic fixed windows.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:08:05 PM by Airwoofer »

Offline Moparal

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2013, 09:56:56 PM »
I will try to get them off of you. I just had 2 dana's narrowed and installed a spool in one and a powerlock in the other, plus install a higher gear in my dana, so i'm dana poor right now  hehe. When I get back from New Mexico, I will give you a shout. I bought my great nephew a truck for him to learn how to drive , in my field.  My wallet is a revolving  flap.

Offline twin RB

• Just got my .509 Cam
Re: Indy Max block pros and cons? There are lots of cons with Indy
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2013, 10:33:56 AM »
I am a recent customer of theirs.  I already had a set of their 440-1 CNC heads that I bought off RJ.  Took $1000 to get them right by a head shop.  I ordered a World block  from that guy josh at Indy.  It was to be decked to 10.720 to match the custom pistons I was getting.  The deck was way off, uneven and the finish was probably as delivered from World.  The rotating assy was supposed to be balanced but it was way off, probably not balanced at all judging from how the only holes that were drilled were from the crank manufacturer.  Had to have a lot of metal removed to get in balance.  I had paid for these services and had to pay my builder again to get them fixed.  That clown Josh basically called me and the builder liars.why in the world woul anyone use brodix n-1 heads? Too much messing around with pieces and stuff to get them to work and the cost is crazy. Junk if u Ask me. Jam a set of cnc 600-13 on there and hold on lol my Indy block and heads are great and I hitter and it makes near 4000 hp.

BTW, I also got a 4.500 bore x 4.250 stroke.  Welcome to the 540 club.

If you want to buy an Indy product get it from Bob Mazzolini, also in CA, and let him not only do the finish maching but also make sure your stuff is right.  If you buy a Indy machined product you will get ripped off.  I would not trust them to build the short block either.  There are a lot of previous Indy customers that would NEVER do business again with them and really regrret getting sucked in.  Whatever you have to pay a machinist like Bob is worth it in avoiding the aggrivation of dealing with them.  There are guys that are looking forward to seeing the owner Russ at a show so they can smack him from across the table.

I also wish I had gotten Brodix heads cause the Indy CNC heads have the bowls destroyed and the flows are not that great.

Do you homework.

Offline go green

• Just got my .509 Cam
  • Grim Reaper of parts
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »
I have one and would not recommend buying one ever , just a cheap completely out of square embarrassing imitation of a block . The KB is a good block but if you have  order 10 months  before you need it  then be warned . The indy is in my street car just because I am stuck with it.
6.57@224MPH

Offline Moparal

« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »
Well, I called Indy today to ask a few questions about the maxx water block and turn around time to pick it up. Russ answered the phone, so I asked for Josh, he said he was busy. Then I got be littled.  I Pm'ed Josh last night, but maybe he didn't read it yet. At any rate, in less than 30 days, I want to order a block, but will need to be walked through the order and not lectured through the order.  If that 572 was around 15k on their site, I would consider it (wink) but I know that won't happen.   

Offline 440outlawdart

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
moparal.check out that engine on bob mazzolini site,under engines for sale,stock number sku-81447,for 14,500,if I had the cash ill buy that in a heart beat
mopar to the end

Offline Moparal

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2013, 11:04:43 PM »
The clock is ticking down. I got a hold of Josh and he helped to answer a lot of my questions. I almost decided to go with a 572 also.  But in just a couple more weeks, I am paying for my block and going with a 540.  I am also going to go with 14.5 comp and switch back to methanol.  I am anticipating this build over the winter.  Getting this dart under 2400 lbs is going to be easier now.

Offline 440outlawdart

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »
alky is the only way to go,why pay 10.00 a gallon for race gas when you can run faster on aly,more torque ,runs cooler and 3.00 a gallon
mopar to the end

Offline 4406

• Just got my first Turbo
  • OFFICIAL ROAD TESTER
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 11:21:06 AM »
Did you break the motor that was in your car Al? Wondering why you are changing it up.

Ray
Misc Odd Parts Assembled Recklessly

Offline 440outlawdart

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 01:38:38 PM »
I think al just wants to go fast,he did have a b-1 motor
mopar to the end

Offline Moparal

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »
I'm running on  borrowed time with the factory block . I'm pushing well over 800 hp  so I'm just up grading to another block also I decided to go to a bigger bore. The car is already set up for methanol so I'm just going to go 14 five compression and use another set of B1 heads I got